Sunday, July 29, 2012

Flawed Waffle Batch in Brussels

So we missed some warning signs on the way to Belgium...1. Some lady passes out on our bus from Amsterdam to Brussels...ended up being a whole thing. 2. Spent way too long trying to find our hotel that I actually booked ahead this time (the directions I found online literally just said, "Walk to the city center."). 3. Our hotel is super cheap but actually pretty nice...doesn't that only happen if the location bites? 4. We get off the bus in Brussels and it seriously smells like urine in this city. 

Anyway, we ignored the red flags and wound up here in Brussels...and then we got here and couldn't remember why we came...I mean, when's the last time someone's told you their favorite place in Europe was Brussels? And then we thought, oh yeah, Belgian Waffles! Sooo excited...we did some research online and found the best waffle place and headed straight there.





Justin claims the real Belgian waffles just have powdered sugar on them, but I got the "tourist waffle": strawberries and a crapton of whipped cream on top. They looked soo good at first...







Soo much sugar. Soo much whipped cream. And I love sugar. And whipped cream. Didn't think you could ever have too much. I was wrong. Well, we decided to eat them anyway, and I got on some sort of a sugar buzz.







The craziest part of this whole story is that Justin ordered not one, but two waffles, people. TWO waffles. Right off the bat. Actually, that's not the craziest...the craziest is that he was telling me on the way there how much of a mistake it was when he ordered those two crepes in Berlin and could only eat one. And then he ordered two waffles. And threw one away after they bit. What a bust.

We cut our losses there and Justin remembered the other reason he wanted to go to Belgium: Belgian beer. I personally have had enough beer after Germany and Amsterdam, so I just took the pictures. He was super excited to have found the bar that holds the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most different kinds of beer.



Also, we discovered the one thing that Brussels is apparently known for: Mannequin Pis. It's this statue of this peeing child (maybe that's why it smells like urine in this city?). There seems to be this reoccurring theme in Europe--a motif, if you will--of naked guys with their junk hanging out. I mean, what is with this fascination? At least you didn't have to pay to see this one like you did with David.



(I may look excited but I was still on my sugar buzz from those waffles.) Once in a while he will pee really far out into the crowd beyond the little pool...we were watching from this little pub and a huge group of Chinese tourists were taking pictures by this thing and got all wet...they freaked out. Hilarious.

I was trying to tell Justin to slow down with the sightseeing -- after trying Belgian waffles, Belgian beer, and seeing Mannequin Pis the first day, what were we going to do the next? So he made an itinerary for the next day with a slew of comic book stores (apparently they are famous here), puppet shows, and parks.

Well, the comic book shops are closed (it's Sunday), the puppet shows are in Flemish, and the parks...well, you see one park, you've seen them all.



Park #1: Playground park



Park #2: Classic park



Park #3: Skate park

Oh yeah, then we did find a free museum...all the exhibits were in French or Dutch.



We finally cut our losses and went to see the new Batman movie--which was actually a great call. "This was the best movie theater experience I've ever had." --Justin. Ok that's extreme...but the theater was kind of cool -- it was huge and must have been an old auditorium I think. Then, after our waffle disaster yesterday (I tried to convince Justin it was just a bad batch but he wouldn't let me try them again), needless to say we got Pizza Hut and called it a night. We only had two nights here (good thing...what would we do tomorrow?), and we're off to Paris tomorrow. The one good thing is our hotel was one of the nicer ones we've stayed at -- when's the last time we've actually had a bathroom in our room? Plus, according to Justin, "We need to rest up for Paris."

No comments:

Post a Comment